Monday, October 15, 2007

Jessica Makes Creamy Chicken Soup

Our family has been fighting a bug for a couple weeks. I finally got the little microscopic critter Saturday night! So come Sunday, I wanted some creamy soup. I didn't feel like making it all myself, so I had little Miss Jessica a.k.a. as chef Jessie help me make some soup. This soup is WONDERFUL on a cold day... or really anytime you would like some homemade creamy chicken soup.







Now for the recipe:

Creamy Chicken Soup


  • 2-3 large carrots
  • 1/4 cup green onions, sliced (I didn't have these on hand, so I used Walla Walla onions)
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 3 Tbl. butter or margarine (I always use butter)
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup Orzo
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can chicken broth (I used 1 cube and 1 cup water, and added really chicken broth since DH cooked up some chicken thighs)
  • 1 can chunk breast of chicken (I used Kirkland)
  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese (I didn't have any on hand so I substitute)
  • 1/2 tea. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 tea. black pepper
  • 1/4 pre-cooked crumpled bacon

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, cook carrots and onion in hot butter for about 10 min., or until tender but not browned. Stir in flour. Slowly add milk, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Chicken and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts. Serve hot.

Note: Extras I add sometimes are hash brown potato's, pasta, broccoli & bacon.

(This recipe is from Kirkland Signature Chunk Breast of Chicken, but I modify it to my liking)

4 comments:

Tina in WA said...

Just had to say we had left over creamy chicken soup and chicken quesadilla's today for lunch and it was YUMMY! Soup tasted even better today.

my5wolfcubs said...

That sounds really good! But what is Orzo?
Hope you're feeling 100% better!
Lee

Tina in WA said...

Orzo is teeny tiny pasta. I would have used small egg noodles if I had some... Or you can compare it to rice. :o)

It is soooo yummy!

~Tina

Tina in WA said...

Oops forgot...

Yes, feeling better but still have a cold! :o(

~Tina